What is Castration?
Castration is the common term used to describe the surgical procedure during which both testicles are removed in order to sterilize (make infertile) a male dog, therefore stopping its ability to reproduce.
Age of Spaying
Around six months of age.
Neutering has many advantages for the long-term health of your dog including:
- reduces the risk of benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate that comes with age) and prostatitis(prostate infection)
- reduces the risk of hormone-related diseases such as perianal adenoma (benign tumor around the anus)
- eliminates the risk of testicular cancer, the second most common cancer in intact (unneutered) dogs
- removes sexual urges, which usually decreases roaming behaviors
- reduces certain types of aggression
- neutered dogs generally live longer lives than unneutered dogs
- educes the likelihood of separation anxiety or fearful elimination